Nighttime in the Desert
The beauty of a dark desert sky is unmatched. As kids, we wish on shooting stars, and always look up to see the planes floating overhead. But as an adult, I look up into the sky and see the same mesmerizing stars from my childhood. However, when I look up, I also see light and noise pollution, and mistake planes and satellites for shooting stars. But no one ever thinks about how shooting stars are created most frequently by our own space trash burning up in the atmosphere. It's funny how we all see beauty in destruction. In this image, a plane creates the illusion of a shooting star.
How to Cite
Authors whose work is accepted and who publish with The University of Colorado Honors Journal agree to the following terms:
1. The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all objects that may result in subsequent electronic or print publication or distribution.
2. Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
3. The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a non-exclusive license, which grants the Journal the right to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions: a. Right of publication in the print format of the journal; b. Right of publication in the online and/or digital format of the journal; c. Right to use in promotional or other journal-related activities, as defined by the journal.
4. Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
5. The Author represents and warrants that: a. the Work is the Author’s original work; b. the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party; c. the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher; d. the Work has not previously been published; e. the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and f. the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
6. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.